This info is very helpful as we will be purchasing a carrier immediately.
Turns out the fork paint damage on my beautiful new bike was likely caused
by the current carrier (Yakima hitch-mount swing away).  Although we
couldn't figure out how it could be happening, the person loading the
carrier (rude to name him) has been extremely concerned about my bike and
tried a new position yesterday resulting in nice scrapes on the back side
of the frame.  Best guess is even though they were loaded at the far ends
of the 4-bike carrier, my bike was attacked by the other bike's brake
lever.  I will likely have to take Keven's advice to stop crying and put on
clear nail polish and then cover with reflective tape.  At this point I
will be quite nicely reflecting on one side of the bike.  Since I'm hoping
to not continue the process and the carrier loader is trying to avoid being
killed, looks like we will probably buy a new carrier immediately.

It kills me to see my mixtie hanging askew on the hanging racks (and why is
only my bike getting scratched up?), especially when we add the 2 kiddo's
bikes into the mix.  I've considered the attachment to create the cross bar
on my bike, but it seems like an accident waiting to happen. Somehow it
seems a platform would be more "organized".  We have other hanging carriers
(quit using them because we replaced with a swing-away to have access to
the back of the vehicles).  It helped me to see the above comments and
wanted to see if there are any updates that would be of use to us. After
reading the above, I think I am right about the platform being maybe a
little better for the mix of bikes and am a little leery of further
experimentation with my bike on the hanging carrier.  I don't think we
could easily handle a roof mount and the roof top is reserved for
a kayak anyway..

We drive a Subaru Outback and Jeep Grand Cherokee, moving the carrier back
and forth.  If we had a 4-bike carrier on, we probably wouldn't get out of
our own driveway without scraping so raising the hitch up would probably be
important.  Most of the time it would be 2 bikes - standard road bike with
fenders and my Cheviot. But we also need the option to bring along 2 bikes
for young kids.  I've been looking at the ones for 2 that accommodate an
add-on for an additional 2.  It would be most useful for it to be
swing-away so we could easily access everything.  It is important that we
can secure the bikes well as they could be unattended out of sight
sometimes (although we are careful about that).  And loading/unloading
shouldn't be an ordeal so we can it frequently - we have a mix of short (30
min to 1 hr) drives to start riding and long trips.

I will look at all the recommendations above, but appreciate any updated
input.  Thanks.

(I think my optimal solution is a diesel sprinter with 4 captains chairs
and a fold-down sofa in the rear to seat 3 and sleep 2 as queen size bed,
with plenty of storage space between sofa & captains chairs for neatly
organized "equipment", partnered with a 23' toy hauler for more
accommodations for a longer trip.  I think we could make that work. Makes a
new carrier look pretty inexpensive, even if unplanned)