In RR 29, Lon Haldeman relates a solo route scouting ride in Peru.
This was in preparation for a PAC Tour group, so probably quite
challenging.  He took his 1980 vintage MTB ("22 yeas old & at least
3,000 trips to the post office"), way before suspension.  He doesn't
mention tire size but from the pix they're middling plumpish, maybe
2".  While my off road experience on my Atlantis is limited, it seems
to have good handling.  I'd go larger than my current 35s for an off
road tour but wouldn't change anything else.

dougP