Somewhat on topic - just finished reading a decent Outside article
(probably great by most current bicycle journalist standards - but no
where near the quality of Outside writing ten years ago) about riding
across the Scottish highlands.  Sounds like that would be a great
ride, and most likely a worthy challenge for the Atlantis or Bombadil.