Bob,
I rode the GAP/C&O last summer. It was a wonderful trip.  I am also happy to
share any info or answer any questions.  I think 7 days sounds like a fine pace.
I live in the DC area and will be around when you arrive. I would be happy to
meet up before you drive to Pittsburg.  I will be away by the the time you
return from Pittsburgh.
Be in touch off list for contact info should you need anything upon your
arrival in DC.
All the best,
Erl Houston