Maybe the homeless man would have been clueless, but the thief would have
noticed. Especially if the bike was secured with a compact u-lock.

Once you have a significant tube u-locked to a bike rack, the frame is
secure, the rest is noise.

My U lock is 1.6 pounds. The pits weigh less than regular skewers. It
works.