I can't speak to the weight, I commute on the Hunq and routinely put 10
pounds of books, papers, and laptop on it. I went with the XD2 wide/low
double crank and the Shimano HG 61 12-36 rear for simplicity. Like Deacon I
skipped the front derailer. In my case I use the 40t and have the 26t
because it came with the 40 and I might decide to try and climb a wall some
day. The setup was much discussed here when Riv started offering the
double. Bob