Oooh. That's a cool bike. That would be a cool bikepacking machine.

Honestly, though, I use the 2.1" Nanos on my mountain bike and they are
fine for almost 85% of my riding. I went for a 3 hour ride a week ago in
the snow, slush, and fire roads of my area, and they did fine. 3" seems (to
someone who has not had a 29+ or 650b+ bike) unnecessary for MOST
conditions. On the other hand, if I rode more in the High Desert, where the
roads are an awful mix of washboard, supersandy sections, and rutted
wreckage, I might feel different.

35 mm seems to suffice for anything that is packed, relatively free of
rocks, and uniform. Once there are ruts, depressions, and a mix of packed
and soft dirt, I think a 40-60 mm is better.

I pay a lot of attention to what types of conditions call for which tires,
and sometimes I choose the wrong bike for a particular ride. Where I live
in the eastern San Gabriels, there is a tremendous variety of road and
offroad conditions. There is a section of potted rocky debris-strewn fire
road on one of the lower top ridges of the mountain I live on that is,
despite being a "road", is far scarier on skinnier tires when descending
than the true offroad trails nearby. If I ride it with anything like a 35
mm, it frankly sucks since I have to keep very slow. Heck, it is rough on a
29er hardtail with 2" tires.

These distinctions matter less if you subscribe to a "bigger is better"
philosophy that seems more popular among the Riv crowd, many of whom appear
to be running 45-50 mm tires for just general riding, but I like to go fast
on the roads, and that does seem to be more difficult when running fatter
tires.