If you're having new wheels built up, you could consider building the rear
around a fixed/free hub, rather than the stock free/free hub. That would let
you use a real fixed gear lockring (it's left hand threaded, so it can't
spin off), yet you can still use a freewheel on either side if you like.
There's really no down side.

Eric