A good agent isn't merely a salesman. How do I know? I was a good agent and
knew many of them who also were good ones. Besides, no agent wants to face a
due diligence lawsuit or complaint to the Insurance Commission.

Your home or renter's insurance will not cover accidents. If you have an
accident and the other party is at fault, then (1) if he has insurance, his
property liability will cover it. If (2) he does not have it, or has too
little, your own auto Uninsured/Underinsured coverage will cover it.

If you know how to talk to an adjuster, you will get your money's worth --
at least, if the company is a reputable one: Hartford, Progessive, Travelers
and the other prime companies I now gleefully forget. Your bottom feeder
companies are often amenable to a letter saying, in effect: "I think $XXXX
is fair. I have given good reasons why it is fair. if you want to jerk me
around, I will hire a lawyer. If I hire a lawyer, then you can pay $XXXX
PLUS my lawyer's fees. Have a nice day. Sincerely yours, etc."

On the two occasions I've had to claim for bicycle losses -- one a theft,
the second an accident -- I got full and prompt settlement -- heck, even
made a bit on the deals.

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact