Just to give a counter point to Richard's off-road observations, I have
found long chainstays to be wonderful off-road. Now I have not ridden a
bike with 21 inch CS like the 60cm Cheviot, but I have ridden 17 to 19 inch
CS bikes. I have also ridden Surly bikes with rear dropouts/drop-ins where
you can adjust your CS length. I have found my climbing ability increases
with CS length, increasing my ability to keep the front wheel in contact
with the ground. Interestingly long, 19 inch CS do not inhibit tight
technical descents. I would agree with Richard that CS length works in
tandem with other geometry components. I wrote up a review of the long CS
Jones Plus bike on IBOB.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/internet-bob/review$20of$20Jones$20Plus/internet-bob/v92_t69-FYQ/Mvy7_9-T1WkJ
And Jeff Jones gives a great talk on the design of that bike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkQ7z9Gi7c