To be clear.  The index shifting lifts the chain from 11 to 28 very
successfully, but when I try to drop the change from the 28 to the 24 and
then to a 21 it hangs up and then jumps cogs.

I intend to disconnect the derailler and slide the rear cable housing
around looking for a hang up.  However I will be surprised to find that is
the problem because I am pretty careful to both file the housing and open
it with an awl.

My trip to my favorite mechanic yielded a number of suggestions:
Check the pulleys for side to side play and for ware.  The former,
especially, will throw indexing out of whack.  I did this and found no side
to side play but still need to get a new pair of pulleys out to look at the
difference.
Adjust the B screw.  The closed position may actually be too tight.  This
too does not seem to be the problem.
My cassette does not need replacing.
Use a Shimano chain.  I think it is unlikely that a Connex 9 spd chain
works less well than a Shimano.
The shifter itself may be worn.  If it's really bad you can feel it, but it
seems to me that it is very possible that one part of the shifter is worn
enough to throw everything else out of alignment.
We agreed that the length of the cable (I actually have three cables, with
a splitter at each S&S coupler to simplify disassembly)  stretches the
limits of friction shifting.

I intend to road test the system but it increasingly looks like I will find
it easier to stay with friction.  I think I have a little room to move from
a 48 to  a 50 ring without needing to change the derailler, cassette, or
shifters.

I hope I am not discouraging anyone from trying a tandem; they are great
fun in spite of the extra challenges.

Michael