With the full-length housing for the BB7s and the 9 sp friction shifting
system on the Matthews, I splurged and bought high end Dura Ace brake and
derailleur wires, upon the advice of the shop that said they do make a
difference. I haven't yet installed them yet, and can't pronounce on their
efficacy, but the OP might want to consider such top end cable at least for
his rear derailleur.