I had an experience recently that may be relevant. As part of a hilly
30-mile loop in the Boston suburbs, intended as a training ride for a
gravel ramble in the Vermont hills later in the month, I came to a long
segment (maybe 2 miles?) of grooved pavement in a hilly stretch of Concord
Ave., Lexington. I was riding my Surly Trucker DeLuxe, a 26" touring bike
equipped with RTP ELs (affectionately known as the "Monster Trucker").
After riding to the top of the first of several hills, I plunged without
hesitation into what soon became an all-in descent; the tires made this
feel like the right thing to do, and that feeling increased through a 35
mph run, and was repeated in two more descents before the pavement reverted
to normal. The fact that I dropped a couple of roadies who were gingerly
negotiating that stretch on 23 mm tires was, of course, icing on the cake.
The fact that the tires were also doing their thing admirably on the smooth
pavement, as well, made it sensible for me to be out riding them on what
was basically an all-pavement ride in the first place. The Surly frame
(which I like well enough, btw, and have run happily with other tires) was
incidental: in this case, it was really about the tires, making possible
things that didn't feel wise before, in this case a 35 mph descent on
grooved pavement. The tires are the thing. Maybe someone will come up with
one or more optimal bicycles to match them, but in the meantime, they make
any bike that can fit them a whole lot better.

By way of data points, no flats in 600 miles, no traction problems in the
rain. I'm running the RTP ELs on Sun Rhyno Lite rims at 30/35 PSI. I've
taken them on pavement rough and smooth, city and country, gravel ranging
from stone dust to railroad ballast, dirt, roots, rocks, the last three on
single track and our local "abandoned carriage roads". I'm not running
tubeless. I find they spin up well from a standing start, and that the
pneumatic suspension rewards standing on the pedals in those situations,
good for when the light changes. They climb happily (they climb, the rider
is happy).

rod