Dahon owner here, talking about the Dahon-relevant bits.

I own a Dahon Hon Solo, with yuuge 20" wheels, set up with a 68" fixed
gear. 35 mm (32 actual) Kojaks.

Lights: I often use the HS for short distance shopping, since it is my only
bike with clips and straps. I have a decent clip on battery headlight, but
I've just found a Cyo to install with the Sanyo bb generator. I wouldn't
spend the money for a dyno hub, for this bike, but for me, a generator of
some sort IMO is sufficiently convenient if the bike is regularly used
after dark. IIRC, PJW sells an inexpensive but modern-efficient 6 volt
bottle generator that might be the ticket.

Lock: Not me; I just fold and boldly carry inside. It won't fold as small
as a Brompton, but it will fit inside a shopping cart.

Gearing: fixed, of course. The HS was originally ss fw with an absurd gear
of about 52" (IIRC, 44 x 16 X 19" wheel). the 50 X 14 is much better,
though I have a 16 on the flip side which I've never used.

I use mine mostly for short jaunts while waiting for one of my daughter's
lessons; I've ridden it 20 miles, but the moustache bar (road type, with
road lever) hurts my hands much over 10. And it seems that small tires do
drag more than larger ones with the same tires.

The real test of the Dahon's usefulness will be to try and carry it folded
inside a bus. If I can do that, then it will be a truly useful bike, not
just a convenience. Must try this soon; the Blue Line Express to the
university stops nearby, and that stop takes me near enough to the oriental
grocery store, which I never get around to visiting, to make the bike
useful. I'd carry a Timbuktu bag rather than the on/off rack/basket.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Minh <mgiangs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, thanks for the feedback, i recognize some longtime posters and had
> no ideas that you were also Brompton owners!  The main thing i'm looking
> for now is feedback on any changes you've made to the stock setup and
> whether you had problems or were they worth it, here are a few i'm thinking
> of (I have a M3L--black):
>
>    - grips-i have the foam ones now, thinking about the ergon ones, there
>    seems to be some debate on whether they fit w/o cutting on the M bars
>    - brake levers-the stock ones feel terrible to me, i'm leaning towards
>    some older suntour mt levers
>    - upgrading the easy wheels/fender wheels, mines a little wobbly.  i'm
>    also thinking of adding the rack but not for carry capacity but instead
>    just to get it more stable folded up and rolling, if i can do that another
>    way--the EZ Wheel Extender kit?  then i'd prefer not to add a rack
>    - front bag options, how big is "too" big, which bags are you using?
>    C-bag, s-bag, t-bag other?
>
> My other questions are more around living/using Bromptons.
>
>    - Some of you mentioned going with the dyno option, my two Rivendells
>    have dyno-hubs because i never want to worry about having lights (or worry
>    about charging them) since i need a way to get home, but with the Brompton,
>    i would just fold it up and call a taxi.   Is it that useful to have them
>    over a battery light?  But i will stop in at a dealer to look at how the
>    wiring is run if i do decide to go dyno hub.
>    - Do you carry a lock?  I know that you should be able to take these
>    into wherever you're going but do you keep a lock in case of emergency?
>     which one has worked for you?
>    - Have you had to carry a 'cover' for the bike folded to take them to
>    certain places?  I have the brompton bag that covers it but not sure if i
>    need to carry it around.
>    - Are the Schwalbe the only tire options--i'm generally happy with
>    them in the bigger sizes, but just wondering.
>    - Are there alternatives for the stock shifter?  it's very kludgy to
>    me, but i'm not sure i would really change gears often enough to change it,
>    i'm use to riding single speed so i may end up using this bike as a single
>    speed with bail-out gearing
>
> Chris, small world, i've been eyeing bromptons on ebay for the last few
> months, including a few lacquer ones!  Don't worry i didn't bid on any
> (they were a little outside my budget) so i didn't drive up the price for
> you!  I love how this bike fits in the trunk area of my MINI perfectly!
>
> Finally, i think Bo captured my feelings about riding this bike
> perfectly.  I love riding my Quickbeam or Sam, but a Brompton is a totally
> different feeling it's familiar but different and i really like it.  And
> the fact that it fits into multi-modal trips makes biking more accessible
> for times when i need to drive somewhere first and i can't take my fullsize
> bikes.

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle