Hi Justin,
I have been using a hammock for 15 years and insulation under you depends on
temperature. If it is very warm, the hammock cools you nicely. On the other
hand, I am always cooler in a hammock vs the ground. Here in Michigan, even in
summer, I have insulation. There are lots of hammock camping forums that cover
this as much as we do tires, helmets, and planing.
Hope you like the hammock as much as I do.
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI