I just started hammock camping this past year with a Hennessy hammock,
which is more of a suspended tent than a hammock, so I'm already carrying a
fairly hefty shelter vs. your ultralight hammock. I've brought along my
Thermarest pad all but once, and I never regretted having it, and the one
time that I didn't bring it - smack in the middle of the summer in the
mid-Atlantic, I felt cool, but not cold in the middle of the night. This
comes with a caveat that I was using my Big Agnes sleeping bag that doesn't
have any padding or insulation on the bottom, rather it has a sleeve to
hold a pad, so it's more of a blanket with a pocket for a pad.

I've looked at options for adding an insulation or barrier layer to the
underside of the hammock itself vs. using the Thermarest. Hennesy offers
this for their hammocks and it looks like I could get away with something
lighter and less bulky than a Thermarest with this style of solution.

I think I also agree with Bob's comments on clothing, particularly for an
s24o. I do like comfort, but for an s24o I've gotten right with the idea
that it's okay, maybe even good, to find myself uncomfortable on occasion.
I was a Boy Scout in my youth and the motto of "Be Prepared" is in my DNA
at this point, so it's almost a moment of self-rebellion to not pack an
extra-extra pair of socks, and shirt, and pants, and... but it's nice to
get by with the clothes on your back and a decent pocket knife sometimes -
always have the pocket knife, and means to make coffee.

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD