Dear Justin,

Comments inline.

Justin August
Doing the s24o thing this year. I'm wondering about my kit and what I'm missing
or taking extra.
- Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock
Is the hammock reasonably waterproof?
- Marmot Sawtooth (good to 15F)
Don't buy anything new, but do you plan to do a lot of deep winter camping? Is
it that cold where you live year-round? You may want a sleeping pad with a
hammock--they run cold.
- Caldera Cone with Fosters Keg
- GSI Soloist
- Helix Dripper
- Cheap camp mug
- Kleen Kanteen hot thermos
- KK Insulated Cold (on the bike)
- Water Bottle Squeezable
- Nalgene 32oz
Lotsa cooking equipment. Perhaps add a spoon, a water filter (a Sawyer inline
is plenty), a handkerchief, and cut the pots and pans in half? I carry some
heating mechanism, a pot, sometimes a lid, and a cup of I have company.
Gourmets may choose differently.
- Ibex Woolies 2 3/4 tights & 1 long johns
- Darn tough socks for camp
- 2-3 upper layers (wool, polartec)
- Patagonia Nanopuff jacket
You are equipped for the Arctic, almost. Where are you going?
- Wool beanie
- Birkenstock clogs for camp
May I suggest a pair of down booties, or just the comfy shoes that brought you?
- Various on bike top layers
More clothes? Do you live in Alaska?

>Any advice for a first timer?

My most serious advice: go for it, don't over think it, bring a lighter, a
small first aid kit, a space blanket, a short itinerary, your sense of humor,
and enjoy.

One good friend did the CO trail race with a wool poncho, work clothes, boots,
and peanut butter. He finished second, despite cracking his fork, only to
disqualify himself a year later when he realized he had left the course on a
long-cut.... It really is about getting out there and being in the world a bit.

It is a short outing. In the worst case, you have something amusing to look
back on wistfully. You'll find your comfortable load out with a couple of
trips.

I predict it will be roughly a half or a bit less of your current plan. Expect
to forget something "vital" that you want, but do not turn out to need.

Eventually, I pare things down to the point that I miss something badly (or I
forget my toothbrush or something), and the creature comforts start leaking
back in...

Cheers,
Will
William M deRosset