For S24Os & short, casual tours:  whatever single person tent is on sale at
the REI outlet online.  However, for longer tours requiring more gear,
weight & size become important,   Then you need to really analyze your
personal needs for the type of environment where you're going, and that
gets into more specialized, spendy types of shelter.  I bought an REI
Quarter Dome 7 or 8 years ago for an extended tour.  Not overly compact or
light, it was cheap, but it's gotten probably 100 nights of use, with only
minor wear & tear.  If it ever falls apart, I'll research "nicer" tents.
Until that happens, I'm a happy camper.

dougP