On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 10:49:03 UTC+11, Patrick Moore wrote:

> Continuing this aside: what exactly is the purpose of electric shifting?

Well, to give an example, in spite of being an experienced cyclist with
~12000km/year riding for the past 35 years, my wife still cross-chains a
lot of the time. If the bike is in the big chainring, she tends to use the
big ring until she needs a lower gear than is provided by big-big, and
vice-versa with the small chainring. As she rides flat bar road bikes, I
recently fitted Deore XT Di2 to one of her bikes. This has what Shimano
call synchro shift, which means that as you shift down across the cassette,
the gearing automatically shifts to the small chainring part way across the
cassette without you having to touch the front shifter, and vice-versa when
shifting up from the bottom of the cassette, so she never has to touch the
front shifter to change between chainrings - the entire gear range is
available from the right shifter. The crossover points are programmable via
a smartphone or desktop app, as is the shifting speed (do you want it as
fast as possible with a bit of noise or slower and almost silent).