Interesting comparisons. Does anyone know what the RB-1s tubing is? I
thought that the Ram had pretty conventional tubing thickness. Or is the
difference entirely in the geometry?

Bo: Funny you didn't like the Legolas. What about it didn't you like? Was
it only the wheels? I thought that, generally speaking, a 700C wheel with a
given width of tire rides much like a 650B wheel with a 20 mm or so wider
tire (eg, 23 mm compared to say 42 mm).

My own experience, after 5 Riv road models of various sorts, is that that
Ram was somewhat staid in its handling compared to what I'm used to, which
is the later 2 of my Riv Roads. The Ram had the Grant signature stability,
but felt (to me) somewhat -- just slightly! - ponderous in the turns. Now
my Riv Roads have very light "twenty six inch" wheels, but they feel just
right in their straight line stability and their readiness for immediate
but even and controllable turn in. Perhaps I'm just used to the 2 latter
bikes, but they feel faster and nimbler than the Ram.

Lastly, was the geometry of the RB 2 pretty much the same as that of the RB
1, with slightly heavier tubing?

I'm not sure how much effect tubing differences would have on my experience
of bikes -- I can't say that I've experienced "planing" -- but the Riv
Roads "want to go faster" than the Ram did -- though there are so many
variables that I can't point to just one reason for this.