I came across this from a 2009 Bike Radar article:

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/article/first-look-rivendell-roadeo-steel-club-racer-22939/

And from 13 years ago. Mr. Love still posts on the Boblist (and perhaps CR
too).
murraylove <http://www.bikeforums.net/members/murraylove-15178.html>
Junior Member

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rivendells are highly-evolved versions of the Bridgestone bikes that Grant
Petersen designed. There were quite a few things Petersen wanted to do with
the Bridgestones that were vetoed by head office in Japan (longer
chainstays on the RB-1, for one thing). And Petersen's design ideas have
changed substantially since Bridgestone USA shut down. A couple of examples:

-Compared to an RB-1, the Rambouillet (which used to be known as the
LongLow) has longer chainstays, lower BB, slacker seat angles, higher head
tube, shorter top tube, and greater tire clearances. That's not even
considering the beautiful lugs, fork crown and numerous other examples of
quality detail work on the bike.

-You could also look at the Atlantis as the descendant of the Bridgestone
XO bikes, but the bikes are so different that it would take too long to
list all the changes. The Atlantis is, IMO, a far superior all-round bike
to the XOs, which had too-short chainstays and too-steep head angles.

-Of course, there are no Bridgestone equivalents to the Saluki and the
Glorius/Wilbury, and the custom Rivendells are tailored to your riding
style, as long as that fits within the Rivendell design philosophy.

I've owned 3 Bridgestones ('92 RB-1, '92 MB-3, and '93 XO-3), and they're
fine, well-designed production bikes, but the construction quality is
merely good, not great. Plus, I've broken two XO-3 frames in the same spot
each time (base of the seat tube socket in the BB shell). Rivendells and
Bridgestones were designed by the same guy, but don't make the mistake of
thinking that Rivendells are merely Bridgestones with nicer lugs. There are
loads of differences.

An interesting lightweight build:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105552

And about the RB-1, from a site as antithetical to Rivendell as you can get
(well, they are somewhat tongue in cheek):

http://www.velominati.com/guest-article/guest-article-the-prodigal-rb-1/