Ryan, I laughed at your comment about cringing with a "hybrid"!   I decided
a few years back to ditch drop bars and go with alt bars (read Mary, Bosco,
Albas, MAPS,  etc).  My local shop, who are great guys really, always call
my bikes a "hybrid" and it does make me cringe.  I've modified '80's road
bikes with these types of bars and they insist on calling the resulting
bike a hybrid.  Not with a wink either I'm afraid.
I'm a Riv convert now and love what they do and how they ride.