I figured this out when I broke off the bolt in one of my Ergon grips.  Now
I have a Ritchey 5NM wrench that I use for everything around the handlebars
and stem clamp.

To the OP, I would also add it is VERY easy to strip a bolt if the bolt is
soft metal and the hex wrench is hardened.  I had it happen on two out of
four bolts on my crankset.  I felt like an idiot taking it to a mechanic
but I'm sure they see stuff like that on a regular basis.  I also told them
to trash those aluminum chainring bolts and get me some steel ones.