I ride Rat Trap Pass 2.3" tires on my mtb commuter. In addition to greatly
reducing vibration/shocks, the lower pressures enabled by such large volume
greatly reduces the likelihood of flatting. I regularly roll over broken
glass on my RTP's that would have pierced the 28mm Marathon Supremes on my
old commuter due to their higher pressure. I haven't had a flat since
switching in December in hundreds of miles of riding over the glass strewn
streets of Seattle vs about 1 flat/mo with the Supremes (wee problem with
car break-ins/public drinking here). Last, the wide contact patch of these
tires allows me to pretty much ignore the line I'm taking on pavement.
Seattle DOT commonly uses concrete mat street paving with >1" wide seems
between the mats and no pitch seal. I used to have to carefully negotiate
these seems on my old tires but can now blissfully ignore 'em. Huge
reduction in stress and increase in riding bliss!

With all that said, I wouldn't buy a bike today that could take less than a
42mm tire. And the suppler the better!