I have two RapidRise and 3 normal rise rear derailleurs. The rapidrise
bikes have the rear friction shifter mounted on the bar-end, whereas the
normal rise bikes have friction shifters mounted on the downtube. I have
never made a "mistake". All five of my bikes have standard-gauge tubing and
all "plane" more or less. I found that when I am climbing with hard efforts
the flex in the frame pulls hard enough on the shifting cables that the
shifters get tucked a little and sometimes end up slipping a gear. I tend
to tighten the shifters when that happens. The advantage of rapid rise in
this scenario (which happens every ride I do), is that the derailleur will
slip toward the lower gear, which is OK on a climb.

I would use all rapidrise except I find that it's noticeably harder (though
not hard) to shift friction on the downtube with rapidrise. On every shift
I tend to overshift and then trim it back.

Franklyn