On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 4:24:15 PM UTC-8, Deacon Patrick wrote:

> Seeing the loads carried by Australian sheep shearers in the late 1800’s
> on similar width tires

Do you know those were pneumatic tires? My guess for late 1800s Australia
would be solid rubber, given that Dunlop started commercially producing
pneumatic bike tires in Ireland in 1890, IIRC.

> — My rear wheel plan is a cliffhanger, which has an inner width of 25mm.
> Will this work with a 38mm tire, or be too wide?

Probably too wide. Here's a Mavic engineering article on tire/rim
width:
http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/the-right-tyre-width-on-the-right-rim-width/

I agree with Daniel that pinch flats are going to be a problem with a load
and narrower tires. I don't know that tubeless would help with tires at
that width. You can pinch a tubeless on a rock and have it burp out the
sealant. Also, it's not just total weight but distribution of the weight.
With all the load over the rear tire, it's going to take more of a beating
than if the load was distributed more evenly across the bike.

Might as well try it but take extra tubes and a patch repair kit.

jim m
walnut creek, ca