Patrick, I didn’t switch back and forth on the Hunqapillar much, but I noticed
the improvement switching from 2.1” to 44 Snowqualmie, then degradation of
handling when I shifted back again. Keep in mind I’m a canary in the coalmine
when it comes to things like this. Having a wimpy brain means I notice things
others wouldn’t. My best description is what I wrote in the first post:
“Tracking and smoothness of handling is noticeably improved.”

I’ve been contemplating a confluence of factors as I switch to fixed riding.
Riding within the lesser speed range of fixed gear (no coasting at high speed)
means time to pick better lines, avoid most obsticles (be they debris, rocks,
roots, whatever) — a comnpletely different riding experience. I wonder how much
of the “need” for fatter tires is discated by this increased speed, but comes
at a loss of climbing ability due to greater weight.

With abandon,
Patrick