I'd suggest getting a second rear wheel built with the same rim and hub and
cassette. Just swapping the wheel is much less trouble than changing the tire,
and one wheel and a cassette is much less expensive and takes up a lot less
room than another bike. Alternatively, there are fancy trainers that replace
the rear wheel (e.g. Wahoo Kicker). Though they are expensive as trainers go, I
think they're cheaper than a new Rivendell, and might make your trainer time
more enjoyable too.

If you do go the second bike route, I think it's the new one that ends up on
the trainer. What with shorter daylight, puddles and whatnot, your Homer is
going to be what you want on the road in your use case.