So since I've had my hip replaced, I'm doing more walking/hiking. It is really
easy for me to ONLY ride, because I like it so much, but I was having some pain
in the replaced hip (nothing like the pain that brought the replacement about)
and I had a sense that I needed to walk more. So I did. (And it has done the
trick. The pain is gone!) Now I got this contract in Arizona, in the desert,
with a mountain full of trails just 7 miles away (that's the closest, thousands
of miles of trails in the state) so I'm "hiking" there. I use quotation marks
because although it's rocky and dry and steep (in places) and hot (and
stunningly beautiful), but I have 4G cell service and the chances of me dying
on the mountain are virtually nil. So, to be a "real" hiker, is imminent death
a prerequisite? Anyway, my point is, my longest hike so far is about 2 hours.
For something like that I have worn both my Brooks tennis shoes and Keane
sandals, with equal success. I think I'm in Deacon's court on this one. The
less the better. I tend to be not very prone to ankle sprains. I was just
thinking the other day about maybe a good minimalist shoe. With any shoe on,
going down a steep hill for a long time can really, really hurt my toes. Oh,
and if you're gonna hike, hike upwards, by all means. The view from the top is
always worth it!