I third this. Though I'm not as hardcore as barefoot Deacon, I've found
simple low-cut shoes with a decent tread better than heavy boots for short
hikes (i.e. not traversing the Appalachian Trail). They work just fine 95%
of the time and like mountain biking without full-suspension, force/allow
you to pay more attention to your path/steps. And as an added bonus, you
probably already own them!

Depending on your location, I also second a hat. In addition to keeping off
sun, it guards against ticks falling into your hair (which is where they
are particularly hard to find). Although, as of last couple years, I no
longer have that problem. Sigh.

Other than that, wear comfortable clothes, bring water and maybe some
almonds, have access to a map (or the gps on your phone), and enjoy!

Eric