On Feb 24, 2010, at 1:13 AM, Rene Sterental wrote:

Can anybody offer more insight into what I might try doing to deal with the pain in my hands?

Hand *pain* when riding is fairly unusual IME. Focal numbness is common enough that there is a name for it: cyclist's palsy or handlebar palsy. It's caused by compression of the ulnar nerve and causes numbness of the ring and little fingers. Sometimes there is pain, from what I've read. Googling for this might find some helpful articles- here's one:

http://recoverydoctor.blogspot.com/2009/08/cyclist-palsy-ulnar- neuropathy-handle.html

In terms of immediate practical recommendations, play with handlebar angle to see if that helps to get the pressure off the tender area. Try double wrapping the bars or using even a couple of layers of cork tape- a larger diameter might be helpful. There are gel inserts you can buy to go under the tape, too. And as others have said, saddle position and angle might be helpful; for one thing, make sure your saddle is not too high or too far back (ever since Greg Lemond's book, cyclists have been shoving saddles as far back as possible and often too far back).

Good luck!