Disc brakes and well designed suspension forks are no more prone to
obsolescence than rim brakes or rigid forks, for which, also, there are
fashions (high-rake? Paul, Compass, centerpulls? -- not in the original
Rivendell catalogues). And please explain why disc brakes will last less
long than calipers or cantis or those horrible modern V brakes?

Patrick Moore, whose BB7s on his bilaminate custom dirt road bike will be
things of beauty forever.

The period Rockshock fork on the 1996 Race Lite I owned worked as well in
2016 as it did in 1996; though I personally have no need for suspension
forks of any era. And BB7s have been around longer than Compass brakes and,
I daresay, some of the Dia Compe calipers.