doesn't just have to be hot and dry - in hot and humid it works better than
synthetics and much better than cotton.
You can also buy some seriously thin and lightweight merino tees (150 wt)
if you shop around.

<https://image.spreadshirtmedia.net/image-server/v1/compositions/114748014/views/1,width=500,height=500,appearanceId=366,version=1486105002.jpg>
Egyptian cotton is the only fabric that comes close to lightweight merino.
I have a couple of Egyptian cotton tees from a Moser catalog website and a
really cool tee-shirt graphic - the point being the Egyptian cotton
literally feels cool on your skin when you put the shirt on.