Well another anecdote, but a guy I know was cresting on a big climb (up
Coleman Valley here in the SF Bay Area) and his carbon fork fell apart.
Needless to say, his ride was ruined, but if the fork failed on the steep
descent a few meters ahead, then his life might have been ruined.

Needless to say, he doesn't ride with a carbon fork anymore.  No doubt it
is nice to go faster up a hill on a light bike, but is going a few seconds
faster here and there worth it?

Toshi