Thanks for the advice so far. In my area, I honestly wouldn't trust anyone
to do a good bike fit. Maybe I'm wrong. The only shops in my area are
Specialized/Trek/Giant shops and I've just been unimpressed with the
answers to most of my questions.

I went home and measured to get exact figures. Top of handlebar is actually
5cms below saddle height, and I took the stem out to measure. It's a
beautiful fillet brazed piece, painted to match the bike. The thing is, the
paint stops below the point where it's currently set, and there's only 3cm
left until you hit the top of the wedge anyways, so I'm pretty sure this is
a quill stem that's not actually meant to be adjustable. It's good to know
that the main thing I can do to feel less stretched is to shorten the stem,
and I'm pretty sure any stem I buy will have 5cm more of adjustability than
the current one to get the bars to saddle height should I desire. My
biggest hangup is taking off this beautiful painted to match stem. I kind
of feel like I should just keep riding for a while to see if I can get used
to it. If I'm honest, I think the stretched out feeling will start to
become more natural, I'm just not sure if I'll get used to the neck craning
having the bars nearly 2 inches below saddle height, combined with them
being far away.