My partner and I did this for a while with a 60cm Cheviot. She's 5' 6" and
I'm 6' 4". It worked but it wasn't really ideal, too much compromise in fit
and even though it only took a few minutes to adjust the bars and saddle I
just got tired of having to futz with the bike all the time. If you do
decide to do it swept back bars like ablas are essential imo otherwise the
reach disparity will probably be an issue. It was amazing that we could
share a bike though given the difference in our height. One other thing was
even though she technically fit in terms of saddle height and being able to
reach the bars the bike always seemed too big for her, it was hard for her
to handle such a long bike and get it in and out of our apartment. If your
wife only rides once a month or so it might be fine.

I think Adam's advice is good. My partner loves her medium MB-1. It has
swept back riser bars, a front rack with basket, and easy gears. It fits
her great and most importantly it's HERS. She has gotten into working on it
some and adding her own touches. She is stoked and so am I.