Shape the fender radius to the arc of your tires by using your fingers to
slightly push the sides together all along its length (makes fender
longer/ends move away from tire) or spreading them apart with fingers on
each side of fender and the thumb along the spine all along its length
(makes fender radius tighter, hugging the curve of the tire better and
closer on the ends.
Never grab the ends of the fender and pull or push them towards/away from
each other. You will kink the fender.

*It must be attached to the chainstay bridge. *You can buy nylon
spacers/steel spacers/cork spacers at a hardware store.
Next attach to Seatstay bridge.
Do all this with the stays attached to fender but not to frame yet.
Attach stays to frame last, under no tension.

Right now I am in single combat with a Berthoud fender over a 32mm tire on
a Rambouillet and it just...won't...fit. Front was fine, but rear...no way.
Even after trying different things with the mounting points the tire is
just...too..big. So I will install 28mm tires, which I was planning all
along.
But I like to install fenders with largest tires possible first (if I have
them) to get maximum clearance for the smaller ones I will actually use.
So 32mm fender installation for 28mm tires = massive clearance. I like alot
of clearance.