I'm inspired by the new shipment Riv has of the Gransfors Bruk Hatchet, but
not for me.  My son is turning 10, and at some time in the past, probably
when he was 5, I told him he could get one when he turned 10.  Little did I
know he would remember.  He's a handy and inquisitive fellow, and my
parenting view has always been to let him do stuff on his own.  He has
ridden his bike by himself to the local market here in the wilds of the
city of DC since he was about 7 and seems to be semi-responsible when on
his own.

We do bike camping together, so there could be a need for a hatchet to chop
wood for fires, but as a Grateful Dead head I'm aware that Jerry Garcia's
brother axed off his middle finger when Jerry was 6.  It worked out for him.

My wife seems okay with letting me decide, which in most circumstances is a
green light.  I think a hatchet would be better than something with a
longer handle.  And I am willing to get him something good he can own his
entire life.

Any perspectives?

Steve