"Looking back on my childhood, I am amazed at how much freedom I and my
siblings had..."

This was also my experience, growing up in rural northern California in the
'50's and '60's.  As long as I did well in school and was polite to
grownups, I could do just about anything.  My otherwise strict parents
would let me roam at will (with bb gun or pellet gun), as long as I was
back by dinnertime.  At age 11 my friend and I took an overnight trip down
the river in our separate rowboats.  We were dropped off upstream and
picked up the next evening at a prearranged spot 30 miles downstream.