Well, thanks for this thread. It's pretty easy to make this positive.  I
owe Grant and Riv a lot and would like to thank them.

I "discovered" Rivendell in about 1998, when my friend Bradford Rex (aka
The Reverend Mookie) gave me a Rivendell Catalog.  I'd ridden a lot in
college and grad school (70's and 80's), but fell away cycling for a
numbert of years, too busy to ride and uninterested in the new bikes, new
materials, new technology.

Brad showed me the catalog, with pics of good steel bikes and riders in
floppy cotton shirts.  My ship had finally returned to port...

I drove down to Walnut Creek, bought some wool shorts, and ordered a
Heron.   Remember I got some fat tires (maybe Rolly Polly's) for my Jack
Taylor and one of my Paramounts.  My love for cycling came back, and for
the last 20 years I've enjoyed life with my Rivendells.  Not sure how many
I have, maybe six or seven.  Maybe more, I don't actually keep track.

I don't like to post stuff that sounds dramatic, or make my experience
sound special.   But I will say the oncology dudes and cardiology dudes say
it's a good thing that I've biked so much over the years. I truly thank
Grant for that inspiration, for the bikes, and for my health.

My story isn't unique or special, but the bikes sure are...

some are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41563482@N06/albums

cheers

Max Beach