I got introduced to Rivendell by my friend who introduced me to road
riding.  He is a big fan of lugged steel bikes and showed me the Saluki and
told me that I needed to get that. At the time, I did my first road ride by
changing my mountain bike tires to slicks.  I enjoyed road riding, so I got
my first lugged frame off ebay.  It was a nice used Marinoni frame I
purchased.  This must have been around 2003-2004.

I appreciated the common sense approach to bicycling espoused by Rivendell
and latched onto the comfort and safety of wider tires.  I had my first
child and wanted to take him on a trailer, so I got a used Surly Pacer that
accepted "wide" 32 mm 700c tires.  Using wide tires was a life and death
matter for me because the roads were not always maintained, and there was a
highly publicized local death near my house on Grizzly Peak Blvd. when a
rider lost control on the road and went into incoming traffic--presumably
due to poor road conditions.

At this point, I was doing some long distance riding, and riding on a
comfortable Rivendell was a big dream for me.  I broke into this dream when
I purchased a used Riv Rambouillet.  I built up this bike myself and rode
several brevets up to a 400k.  At this point, I wanted even wider tires and
more comfort, so I bought my first new Riv, the A Homer Hilsen.  I put 38
mm Parimoto 650b tires and was sold on comfortable 650b frames.  My first
big ride was a 600k on this bike.

During this period, the randonneur's dream tire was the 650b Grand Bois
Hetre.  The Parimoto was nice, but going to 42 mm was supposed to be the
optimum of comfort and speed.  I bought into that idea and converted my
Rambouillet to 650b and honestly did find that the 42mm tires were
amazing.

At this point I ditched the Surly Pacer and made the A Homer Hilsen my
commuter.  The 650b Ram became my brevet bike and I did a whole ride series
up to 600k with the Ram.  The Marinoni was too twitchy and had a carbon
front fork to boot, so it had to go and I bought a Roadeo for my "faster"
road ride.  The carbon fork is a big deal, as an acquaintance of mine who
also did double centuries came to the top of Coleman Valley climb and as he
was approaching the summit, the fork fell apart and he crashed.  If he were
100 feet farther along on the descent, he might have been dead.

Anyhow, I managed to do the Triple Crown Stage Race--not really a race for
my buddy and I as we were the Lanterne Rouge, but we finished three of the
toughest double centuries within the time limit (which was a challenge for
the Terrible Two).  Anyhow the Roadeo had plenty of good use there.

The Ram was a great bike, but it was a bit kludgey as it was converted to
650b and the brakes barely fit and the dynamo lighting required wires
everywhere, and the front rack used P-clamps.  As you can tell, I just HAD
to have a custom :-).   The custom rides beautifully, it's so stable and
comfortable and beautiful.  I rode the SF Randonneurs Populaire this
weekend, and I should have taken a picture as there were 50-60 bikes all
lying on the grass, and my lone bike upright with a kick stand.  OK, I did
take the kickstand off for the 600k, but I tell you kickstands are way
underrated in the rando scene.

Anyhow, I bought my wife a Betty Foy which is the best bike she has ever
ridden by far, and my family and I love the Hubbah Hubbah tandem.  I even
got a Cheviot with Albastache bars.  I won't get any more Rivs in the near
future unless they are for my kids or I want a divorce :-), but I am still
dreaming of a mountain tourer when I have more time to do such stuff!

Toshi