Been meaning to post an update on this.  I went with the Ourys, per
Jeremy's recommendation, because they come pre-grooved.  They have 5
grooves, so one can be lined up at the bottom, and the other 4 are nicely
spaced, visually.  Also, because they have grooves around, not just
lengthwise, you can tie the shifter cable in place *a la Rivendell*.  It's
been hard to get a decently clear and focused picture on a cellphone of the
how the cable fits in, so I'm attaching 2 detail shots and hoping they are
clear enough.  From a review perspective, I'm really happy with these
grips, they are all the padding I wanted and have a nice feel:  grippy but
not sticky.