Eddie,
Jones probably wrote that long before he became older or perhaps he never
suffered arthritis or carpel tunnel. Ergo grips are a god-send for us older
guys. Even a lot of MTB racers use Ergon and other ergo grips these days.

By the way, ergo bars need to have the flat part angle upward a bit to
actually put the pressure on the padded part of your hand, taking pressure
off the ulnar nerve in the center of the hand. Therefore, lock-on ergo grip
work well. Ergo grips without lock-ons will rotate. Ditto soft ergo grips
that are very bendy don't actually support your hand.

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA