The accolade of Crisp Front Shifting was given on another thread, and I
didn't want to seem to take exception with that accolade where it was
given.
I'm posting my comments on this thread in case anybody wants to reference
it for following up on their own version of James' 3-speed.
No front ring setup shifts quicker and crisper than a TA cyclotouriste ring
stack.  It's because the side-to-side spacing on the rings is so small.
The narrow ring spacing would be a limitation with a mountain cassette, but
with the single rear cog, it would be the very slickest way to copy James.
I'm running two bikes with Sun XCD crank arms and TA ring stack triples.
Best buy on the crank arms were from Japan suppliers, and best buys (and
widest choice) on the TA rings were from UK and EU suppliers.

<https://i.imgur.com/ySW9KTd.jpg>

This shifts with your favorite road double FD, here Shimano 600, also
running SunTour FD1300 Cyclone on the other drivetrain.

Each of these drivetrains began with a venerable used TA Pro V crank arm
set, and eventually got upgraded to the SunXCD.  Most of us have forgotten
what low-Q really means until we have to deal with those crank arms.  The
Sun XCD version is an upgrade over the original, because where they give up
Q is a slight outward flare on the arms, making them a much better match
with modern wider rear spacings and chainstays, and also giving easy
clearance for setting up the FD cage.

The big set-up thing with these is BB width and asymmetry.  The 3x7 just
above is running 121mm SKF with 4mm offset spacer.  My other 3x5 is on a
125mm Phil BB with factory 5mm offset, and 2 more mm dialed in the BB cup.