I was given a BoBike mini (minus the mount, that went with my brother in
law's bike which was, erm, borrowed without permission) but have a
threadless stem on my Big Dummy. Anyone have a line on where to get a
threadless adapter?

For hauling kids, I've used both a trailer and an Xtracycle.  If you just
want to try it out, trailers are widely available, have an active secondary
market (for Burley and Chariot brands, anyway) and can hook up to a variety
of bikes.  Easiest way to add carrying 2 kids to your bike.

That said, I vastly prefer the Xtracycle due to maneuverability. Even with
two big kids on the back, it's still easier to maneuver and feels more
stable than the trailer.  I've also had kids on the back of the Xtracycle
and kids in a trailer (hey, I hauled as many kids as our minivan fits one
day!), which is definitely different.  You're not going anywhere fast that
way.

When hauling kids around, you find yourself far more aware of traffic and
the environment around you, just as Grant mentioned (and as I can confirm)
when riding without a helmet.  You ride more cautiously and are far pickier
about your routes.

I would wager that the AAoP recommendations are aimed towards the general
public, most of whom ride a bicycle  a few times a year around the park or
on a bike trail.  The target audience is likely not biking thousands of
miles each year in a variety of conditions as many of us do.  The easiest
way to survive an accident is to not be involved in one in the first place.
The best way to not be involved in a bicycle accident is knowing how to
handle your bike, how to recover from bad situations and be aware of your
surroundings to avoid bad situations.  I bet that all of us on this list
know how to handle our bicycles, recover (and can remember a few times when
we couldn't or didn't recover and have learned from them), and can know what
to avoid. As such, pick the kid hauling method that lets you ride your bike
like a bike.

--dlloyd