On 3/19/10, Dan Abelson <d...@abelsons.net> wrote:

> My almost 3 year-old son likes the trailer and it is easy to all of the
> stuff you need to carry in addition to the kids.  The on bike seats look
> like nice and probably eaiser to ride with but going back to the perception
> of safety I don't think that I would ever get spousal approval for them.  My
> son is also over the weight limit for the Bobbike mini.

My spouse (quite fortunately) uncovered a preponderance of favorable
reviews/reports about the Bobikes and so ultimately fully approved.
Our kids are also unanimously in favor, given their squeals of delight
whenever we are getting ready to go. Also, from the captain's
perspective, bear in mind that upright or swept back bars (as seen in
Esteban's photo and perhaps even more so with my m-bars) triangulate
the kid within the adult's arms/body. That said, I have wondered what
instincts would kick in if we were "going down"...

If anything the weight and size limitations of the Mini are probably
its biggest disadvantages, considering that neither of our kids have
stayed small for long. Hopefully, each will have "one sweet summer"
out of it.

> One question I have is what age do people what until before putting their
> kids on a bike/in a trailer?  I have heard recommendations of a year.  With
> my son I waited until he was about 11 months.  I have a 5 month old as well
> and will likely wait until she is close to year.

My kids were pretty active by their first birthday. You'll likely be
able to tell when yours are ready, either by expressed interest or
their own skill level in other activities.

And let me put in a tangential plug for the Kettler Sprint scoot bikes
(and thank iBOB Alan Ferrency, who first lent us his daughter's). I
would say getting my kids into the Bobike mini directly correlated
with their own comfort gains on their own two feet (or, not -
balancing is a good thing!). Which made it much easier to convey the
dynamics of "Mom and Dad"-sized bikes in addition to establishing
rules for "getting on and off" (i.e.: please don't push the bikes over
/ especially with baby in the Mini!). I keep considering a Plescher or
other 2-leg kickstand, but our 3-passenger "bus" is totally manageable
by one parent (as long as the team is cooperating).

So far I've been totally pleased with our setup but not sure yet what
to do once my son is out of the Mini. I've been very happy not towing
a trailer with kids snoozing in it, somewhere out of sight!

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA