D&R canal path is local for me in central NJ and you could really make the
route as long or short as you like.  It parallels route 1 and the Northeast
Corridor of NJ Transit.

I haven’t yet tried this myself but have wanted to take the train up the the
Brunswick area then ride the trail back home (between Trenton/Princeton.)
Or vice versa and cycle north then take the train back.  Just haven’t had the
time lately but have otherwise enjoyed miles and miles of traffic free riding
on various parts of the D&R for over a decade.

On nice weekends the trail has its own busy traffic areas
(bikers/runners/walkers,etc.... especially around Princeton and also out near
Washington Crossing up through New Hope for the portion the parallels the
Delaware River) but if connecting long sections for a day in the saddle you’ll
get a nice mix of some quiet secluded areas to balance things out.

I haven’t yet ridden the main trail further north than the Kingston area but
have otherwise ridden just about everything south through Trenton and then up
along the Delaware to Frenchtown.  An additional benefit of the Delaware River
feeder canal route is getting to cross back and forth between NJ/PA to further
vary your routes and make different loops.

I also just found out about a trail that crosses over from North NJ into NY for
miles of mostly paved riding that a friend has been riding lately but can’t
recall the name.

You should also look into the Columbia trail crossing east to northwestern NJ
as you may be able to pick that up from a train as well o. One of the northern
NJ transit lines.

Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ