A few weeks ago I rode from the Poughkeepsie train station to Minnewaska. I
think more than 90% of the ride was on rail trails, carriage rodes, or very
lightly trafficked backroads.

The Poughkeepsie to New Paltz leg is rail trail all the way to the New York
Thruway.
Just across the river from, New Paltz, the new River to Ridge trail (which
doesn't show up on Google maps yet) gets you into the Mohonk preserve.
The Mohonk carriage roads get you up to where the footbridge crosses 44/55.
A combination of carriage roads and back roads get you into Minnewaska,
where you can take carriage roads to the main entrance. From there, you can
ride all sorts of beautiful carriage roads.

Some parts of the ride might be dicey on really skinny tires, but it's
definitely not mountain biking.

Here's my Ride With GPS route (there are a couple of wrong turns in there
and I continued on to Kerhonkson after Minnewaska):

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/40675222

Brad
Queens