Well, depending on work load, I just might take up Jim's offer.  It is
an easy Amtrak ride from Chicago to Minneapolis.  That is beautiful
country.

As for restaurant - I know there are some good choices in small town
Midwest. There is just no comparing what you can find in Northern
Cali.  I did some riding in Sonoma a few years back.  I would have to
dig up my file to confirm the towns, but recall at least three
different nights in podunk looking places that nevertheless had
amazing little restaurants every bit as good or better than in Chicago
hot spots.

As for coffee, almost like travelling in Brasil - wherever I stopped,
it was good. Get too far outside of the Midwest urban centers and
coffee drinkers are pretty much divided among the let's go to
Starbucks and the why would anyone pay more than a quarter for coffe
crowd.  The concept of independent roasters making quality joe has
barely reached our hinterlands.