Interesting generalization of the connection between tool technology and
human flourishing. In this connection, I recall reading a very interesting
book some 10 or so years ago about a MIT master's student who spent a year
or so with a very technology-conservative (no black bumper cars, no
gasoline engines on horse-drawn reapers) Amish or Mennonite community, with
the goal of finding out how much leisure and consequent contentment they
had compared to use ordinary cubicle folk. He found that, because they did
things slowly by hand in family and communal groups, then by a generous
definition of leisure time -- time spent drinking lemonade and chatting
while shelling peas would be leisure for example -- they actually had far
more leisur time than we'uns.

Back to regular programming. Me, I do like the effort, challenge,
difficulty, skill, and autonomy required by, for example, shifting
friction, making bread by hand (actually, it's easier and quicker -- far
less cleanup -- for me than with a processor or bread machine and you get
better results), food prep (good knife instead of machine), etc. because it
makes these activities into fun, or at least, "more-fun") pastimes instead
of just another damned chore. Likewise driving -- the most fun car I ever
owned, even in traffic -- hell, especially in traffic! -- had a
4-on-the-dash with 29 hp engine and, thank God, a torquey power band.